Airfield Models - Rebuilding My Stik 30

My Stik 30 Rebuild

May 03, 2015



Home
About
What's New
History
Models Gallery
Model Building Safety
Articles
Mail & FAQ
Site Map
Site Feedback
Contact
Register
Add to Favorites
Tell a Friend
Comments
Design and Build Contest
Items For Sale
Search Airfield Models

Back to Rebuilding My Stik 30

 

Airfield Models (http://www.airfieldmodels.com/)Between the Nose and Tail

 
 
A whole bunch of plywood was removed from the bottom of the fuselage. I removed all the lower balsa wood decking and a huge chunk of plywood.  The forward plywood is for the landing gear mount but is a fraction of what was originally used.  Lots of weight savings here.
Misellaneous scraps that were removed during the restoration. After the lower decking was replaced I trimmed off the upper rear decking and sanded the top of the fuselage to remove remnants of wood and glue.  New decking was added and the fuselage was almost like new.

This is all the excess crap that was chipped, trimmed and sanded away.  I sanded off all the fiberglass back down to bare wood.  There was no point in trying to save the finish.

The sides were made from 3/16" balsa which was also over-kill.  I used 60 grit sandpaper to remove the finish and a lot of wood.

Overall I expect several ounces of weight reduction and that doesn't count not having to add tail weight.

Miscellaneous radio equipment holes have been plugged. The radio switch charge jack and antenna exit are in different locations now.  The holes were filled with balsa.

The fuselage was fiberglassed before this photo was taken so what you see now will always be visible.

Battery access hatch in aft fuselage. The aft battery hatch was necessary to balance the aircraft.  The hatch itself added a few ounces of weight and the over-size battery needed added even more.

This is an item I wanted to get rid of during the rebuild.  Shortening the nose allowed me to move the battery back into the radio compartment under the wing.

The plywood hatch looked decent when I finished it but it's obviously an after-thought since I couldn't sand it at the same time the model was built which was at least a year earlier.

There are hardwood blocks in the fuselage that receive the hatch mounting screws.  These blocks were also removed.  While I was at it I removed the last of the lead shot that I couldn't get out before.  There was still about 1/2 ounce of lead in the tail. It's all gone now.

Fuel-soaked battery hatch. 1,000 Mah hour battery strapped to access hatch.This is the hatch that the onboard battery was attached to.  Even though I fuel-proofed it inside and out with epoxy, fuel still managed to find its way into the wood.

The battery has a piece of foam underneath to protect it from vibration.  The wood strap across the top holds the battery in place.

A piece of balsa was cut to fill the area where the rudder pushrod was located. The original pushrods were made from 5/32" carbon fiber tube.  I used a file at an angle to cut away inside the fuselage so the pushrod hole could be smaller and the pushrod would move more smoothly.

Unfortunately when I sanding the fuselage sides I started sanding through the wood in those areas so a fairly large piece of balsa was used to fill the area.

The opposite side of the fuselage was filled with plywood which is the elevator servo mount.

Pull-pull exits for the rudder. The old rudder extended to the bottom of the fuselage.  This one ends flush with the top of the fuselage.  Rather than making a gaping pushrod exit in the top of the fuselage I decided to go with pull-pull controls.

I used my pushrod exit drill guide to drill the holes for 1/8" plastic tube.  The tubes are approximately 2" long.

I made fairings to cover the exits.

Tail wheel steering pull-pull cable exits. Pull-pull exits on bottom of fuselage for tail wheel steering.  I plan to use braided SpiderWire for both the pull-pulls for the rudder and the tail wheel.

I will probably use weaker line for the tail wheel so that it is more likely to break than strip the gears.  I don't plan to use any type of shock-absorbing system such as springs.

 
 

Previous
Next

Rebuilding the Front End
Rebuilding the Tail Feathers

Comments about this article

 
 

Back to Rebuilding My Stik 30
Airfield Models Home

 
 

Copyright 2006 Paul K. Johnson