I clamped light-duty spring
hands. The extra hands would have chewed up the ribs so I didn't
clamp them directly.
Unfortunately, this method of holding the
ailerons only works for the first side.
Again, all wood that the silk will contact must be
sealed to the point of being
With smaller parts it is often easier to wet the silk
before laying it over the part.
Hold the silk with both hands and
stretch it carefully. Lay the wet silk on the aileron taking care
to align the weave.
You may need to lift the silk and reapply it a
couple times to get it right.
Stretch the silk taut. In this case I do not want
it to contact the top of the trailing edge. That means I'll have
to apply dope to small sections and rub it down. If I don't do
that the wet silk will naturally try to lay on top of the edge.
Because there is so little contact area the silk will
slacken as the water dries. Keep the silk as wet as necessary to
keep it in place.
There was a lot more blushing due to the
aileron being much wetter when the dope was applied. Again, it's
not a problem but it's not real pretty now.
The first side of these ailerons was easy because I was able to mount
Silking the other side of the aileron was much more
difficult. There are simply too many curves for me to pull this
off successfully while holding the aileron in one hand.
removable double-sided tape attached to a stick. The aileron was
pressed onto the tape. Because the silk isn't adhered to the ribs
the mount was precarious at best but better than nothing.
The stick was clamped in my PanaVise. As with the
first piece of silk, this piece was applied after it was wet.
I doped the wet silk to the leading edge of the aileron
and to the tip. The silk was very taut.
When the silk dried I tacked the silk to the trailing
edge at each rib while pulling the silk taut. I started at the
middle and worked my way to both ends going back and forth instead of
working my way to one end and then to the other.
After this was
complete I doped the entire trailing edge. There were several
small wrinkles that I removed by melting the dope with acetone, pulling
the silk tight and then rubbing it down.
These were the most difficult pieces to apply and took the most time
which was entirely due to not having a solid mounting.
The wing and ailerons completely silked. Excess
silk has been trimmed away. After a good inspection to ensure
everything is ok I will spray several coats of clear dope to seal and shrink the silk.